Blog 7: Making Coding Approachable and Elevating Scratch

 While trying to implement coding as a learning tool in Grade 9 Math, I found that I was having to teach coding completely before even getting to the concepts in math (algebra, statistics, number sense) was difficult. I can foresee students being unable to use those math concepts they aren't strong in as applications. 

So, starting from last lesson I thought I would switch it up. I would bring the level of coding down to an approachable, familiar level, in order to elevate the math concepts the students would be learning. 

There are plenty of websites that solve order of operation math problems and can do the calculations visually using blocks or other things. However, when I was trying out Scratch, I found that I was bringing in lots of order of operation knowledge to create the code first before I can see it. Students having to create the code they see before they can use it (and get the final answer) is a creative way for them to problem solve and try things; just like they do on whiteboards. 

For this lesson, students would be given a template of a Scratch page with a number line (links in the Slides). With that number line, students will have to create a run equations to move a Sprite along the number line. My example is a hedgehog named Ricky. 

This type of system can be expanded into simple linear graphing in one dimension. Where the variable is "x" and Ricky moves "y" distance along the number line. For students who struggle to account for two things changing on a 2-D graph, this is a way for them to work with more simple input-output exercises. 

Lesson below: 

Comments